Tuesday, May 22, 2012

A Walk in the Park...should be easy, right?

Today, I attempted to be a "normal" mommy...epic fail.  For those that know me well, they know that I can't sit still.  Therefore, when I got pregnant last year, my husband was sure to add "baby jogger" to my list of baby needs.  I was SO excited the day we bought our jogger.  I would lay in bed at night (in between getting up to go to the bathroom) and DREAM of the day that I could take my baby outside and go jogging.  The visions in my head included a nice summer breeze, birds chirping, the sun shining, and one happy baby bouncing along.

Well, today I got three of those things...minus the happy baby part.  As I took care of Jett earlier today, my frustrations of being stuck inside the house boiled up inside of me. The sun was shining outside and we were missing out!  I decided to do something about it. I unhooked Jett's feeding tube from the pump, put on my running shoes, and pulled out the stroller.  We were going to enjoy some sunshine, dang it!

I snapped Jett in the stroller and captured this pic...he actually looks pretty excited, right?


Well, fast forward five minutes later...this is Jett at the park absolutely LIVID that I put him in his stroller


So, here is what I did...

1) After this picture was taken, I took Jett out and cuddled him for a second, but to no avail.
2)  I vented his feeding tube (For those unfamiliar with this procedure, it's like "burping" a baby, but instead, you open up a tube that releases bubbles directly from the baby's stomach)...that didn't help
3)   I strapped him back in his stroller and made sure that his feeding tube was safe and secure.
4) Made sure Jett was still breathing in between his bouts of coughing and gagging.
5)  And I ENJOYED my walk...I listened to the birds chirping, I felt the sun on my face, and I even got a small workout in.

When we got back home, I was sure to give Jett lots of love and attention.  He was one tired baby and quickly fell asleep in my arms...happy, I am sure, to have escaped such a traumatic experience. *wink wink




6 comments:

Chixon said...

Sounds like a 'normal' mommy moment to me! :) I think we've all envisioned those perfect moments only to have it be everything but perfect. Good for you, for just taking a minute to enjoy yourself and recharge your battery so you can be a better mom!

Mindy said...

Hahaha. I am glad you enjoyed the beautiful day!

Chelsey said...

This made me laugh. You're awesome! I'm glad that you can still have your sense of humor while taking care of sweet Jett! Sometimes a mom's gotta do, what a mom's gotta do huh? :)

Erica Rogers said...

That has happened to me multiple times!! Always when I've just gotten far away from home. And then the entire way home people stare at you like your the worst mom in the world :) I'm glad you got to enjoy a little sunshine!

Amy said...

I think you're smart to stick up for yourself a bit. Otherwise, you'll just end up too warn out. (not that you aren't already... but good job!)

Anonymous said...

This sounds too familiar. No "epic failure" on your part to be a "normal Mom". This is what ALL of us go through! Today I grabbed my toddler and said, I need a break from you. Mommy needs my own quiet time. This is why you have nap time. I will see you when you wake up. Walked out, locked the door. Now, I'm enjoying my quiet time. :-)