We ultimately decided on the Gastro-Jejunal Tube. This is a surgical procedure that places a feeding tube directly into the small intestine (the jejunum) by way of the stomach. We were told that Jett would need to stay overnight for observation following the surgery.
Well, Jett's surgery was on Thursday…and we didn't get home until today (Sunday). The surgery went fairly well, but Jett experienced and is STILL experiencing some complications from the procedure.
Here are a few things that our little guy has dealt with these past couple days:
- Possible seizures - a bad reaction to the anesthetic
- Horrible reaction to morphine
- Vomiting up bile and blood
- Bad tummy pain OBVIOUSLY
- Infection where his incisions are
- Deep suction procedures that require me to stick a tube down his nose/throat and suck out all of the stuff that he chokes on
I am feeling like a horrible mommy right now. We seriously should have just kept the tube that went through his nose and throat. I was under the impression that this G-J tube was going to make Jett's life much easier…umm nope.
We will see what the next few days bring. I really hope that Jett's little GI system starts working properly. I feel so bad for him and SO HELPLESS.
I know I say this a lot, but Jett is one tough baby. I truly feel like he has the spirit of a warrior inside his frail body. When he opens his big blue eyes and looks around, you can see the heavens.
At the hospital, he would be lying there somewhat incoherent and then I would touch his arm. He would immediately lift up his arm and hold it there so that we could hold hands. It was as if he was saying to me, "I'm okay mommy, don't worry."
Seeing Jett go through this breaks my heart. It makes me wonder WHY little children have to suffer at all.
I am very grateful, however, for this experience. I have become stronger than I ever thought possible. Cody has become the best daddy and husband as well.
The other day, I received a sweet card from a former next door neighbor in Logan. Their family has been through some extremely tough trials in this life. I was so touched with what they had to say. A part of the card said,
"This is a time when heaven touches earth. It's a time when family is EVERYTHING and the world becomes far less important. Its a time when we turn to our Heavenly Father and submit to his will, because he knows the beginning to the end."
WOW.
12 comments:
you three are in my thoughts and prayers. the last lines brought me to tears, so powerful.
xoxo
He has the sweetest little spirit! That picture of him raising his arm makes me tear up! Tennille, you and Cody are the best parents for Jett. It really amazed me watching the two of you work together today when he was having a rough time. You have grown to be in sync with one another. You really can look Jett's eyes and feel like you're seeing heaven! We love him and the both of you and hope that you can find comfort especially in the coming days!
Things may be so hard right now with the surgery being so fresh but I believe you did what was best . Your an amazing mother and person. Your strength is nothing short of awe inspiring. Baby Jett and you will be in or prayers.
Tennille:
You are such a good mama and do not doubt that for a second! I have a handful of clients who have G-tubes and from the perspective of years down the road, they are a wonderful blessing for each of them! I think you made an informed and prayerful decision and because of that - I think you made a good one! P.s. Jett is beautiful. :)
You are such great parents. Jett will get through this. Thought and prayers!
-Price Fam
Hey Tennille,
I have been following your story through facebook and your blog. I am so glad you are sharing. I think of you and pray for you guys so often. I know that is not the most fun surgery. I have a friend who's little girl had it a couple of months ago. It took her a while to recover but since she has it has been easier for her and she has gained wait more readily. I hope that is the case for Jett.
I know about guilt in motherhood, especially concerning medical decisions. There were times when Grant was born that I just held him and cried and told him I was so sorry I built him wrong. I felt like it was all my fault. Crazy. I feel like someday our kids will really know that we did everything we could to know and do what's best for them.
Your family is constantly in my thoughts and prayers.
Lindsey
Oh my gosh, can I just read ONE of your glob entries with out crying!? Him holding your hand/arm, the picture of his stomach after surgery, "Heaven touches earth". Man, your experiences are such an inspiration to me. Please don't add anymore heaviness to your decision, bc you would struggle no matter what you chose. There is not "fix" with out a struggle for Jett Fighter. We love you. -dayna
Oh such a sweet spirit! I hope that this GJ tube works...It's just got to! I know that you guys are making the right decisions to help Jett. IT is so hard to see them go through so much and man he needs to catch a break! Such wonderful parents!! I want to come visit soon. It's been forever. I need to see the sweet little Jett man. We are praying for the little fighter and his strong parents! :)
I LOVE how he would hold up his arm for you. That says it all. Every mommy has to make hard decisions and feel the consequential guilt, your decisions are much much harder than most. I like the quote on pinterest that says "you don't have to be perfect to be a perfect parent.". Jett knows you love him and that is the most important thing.
Tennile- I hope this isn't too weird that I read your blog. You don't know me (I'm Steve Oyler's wife). Ever since you have started posting about sweet title Jett, I just keep thinking about you and your family! He is such a sweet little spirit, and we can feel it! I want you to know we are thinking about you and you are in our prayers.
You are wonderful parents and an inspiration. What a beautiful baby boy. Thinking of and praying for you and your family.
hear hear! I love this. what a neat mama Jett has. His smile is adorable. We debated between the GJ and the Nissen, after having a Gtube for over a year. I went throughout the same battle of emotions after surgery, AHHh, I decided ultimately for him to have this surgery and look at all of the pain it has caused him. Paxton has had 19 surgeries and with each one, it has ended up being a blessing. As for the palate repair this Thursday, Jett will be in our prayers! Who is your surgeon? We had Morales and are meeting with him tomorrow to discuss Paxton's second palate repair. I think surgeries just knock these kids out for a little bit. Pax was in the hospital for a MONTH after the Nissen. Horrible. I can totally relate to your post of one constant thing after another. It is no good, no fun. I would take the pain and sick and questions away from him if I could, but for me I wouldn't change all the love and learning I've been given. Good luck this week. If you have Morales, I'll tell him to take extra care of our friend Jett on Thursday. :)
Post a Comment