Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Broken-hearted

I'm not sure where to begin...in fact I am sick to my stomach as I write this. Our sweet, little Jett man is still sick. He has been to more doctors appointments than I have been to in my entire life. He is so brave. To make a long story short, we received a THIRD opinion from a neurologist on Jett's condition. We met with Dr. Francis Filloux, the head of the neurology department, at Primary Children's Hospital last week. Our worst fears were confirmed. Dr. Filloux diagnosed Jett with Pontocerebellar Hypoplasia. You can read about the condition here.

 It basically means that Jett's underdeveloped brain stem and cerebellum affect his entire body. This includes functions critical for life, including respiration and digestion. Besides not being able to walk, children diagnosed with this condition do not hit major milestones like sitting, standing, or even talking. The worst part, is that most infants do not make it past the age of two. There are only a couple kids who have made it to childhood.

 Hmmmph. Nothing like a blow to the stomach.

Cody and I have known this prognosis for some time now, but have waited to tell our family and friends until we knew that this was a definite diagnosis. It is obviously a tender time for us right now. The world feels as though it is going in slow motion. We have all been through a roller coaster of emotions these past four months. Unfortunately, I know that this isn't even the worst of it. Times are definitely going to get harder before they become easier.

What I (we) are feeling right now:
*  Our hearts are broken...not just broken. Shattered.
*  Angry....why us??
*  Scared. The nights are the worst time for me. My imagination and thoughts seem to be amplified. I have a constant pit in my stomach. Every time Jett coughs and chokes (which occurs many times throughout the night), I feel like this could be it.
*  Exhausted
*  Helpless at times. I wish I could just take Jett's pain away.

 Yet, at the same time, I (we) feel:
*  Comforted.
*  Grateful for our families who have stepped in and helped watch Jett. He requires around the clock care and they have been there to save us when we need sleep or a break. Also grateful to those who have written us notes of encouragement, dropped food off at our house, and those who have said prayers in our behalf.
*  Full of LOVE for this amazing little spirit


 We have definitely learned (in all of this) that we are not the ones in control. Heavenly Father has a divine purpose for Jett. His time on this earth was meant to be short. I feel so privileged that Jett chose Cody and I to be his parents. I am going to do my best to take care of him the best I know how. I am not looking forward to the day when Jett leaves us. I don't like the unknown and the range of time that the doctors have given us really doesn't make things any easier. It could happen next week or it could happen in ten years. A lot of people have asked us what they can do to help. Please just pray for Jett's COMFORT and for us to be strong. Also...talk to us. We have found that by talking about our situation really helps us to sort out our emotions. Cody and I are still the same fun-loving people as we were before. We still find humor in life. In fact, the other day the doctor was testing Jett's reflexes. He used his little hammer and hit Jett's knee. The second he did it, Jett farted really loud. We couldn't stop laughing. That same appointment was also when we found out what Jett's true diagnosis was. I think Jett is trying to keep us laughing so that we don't completely break down. We LOVE him so much and are so thankful for the tough lessons that he has taught us about life and love.

28 comments:

Mauri said...

Tenille, there are just no words. We've been praying for Jett and although difficult (beyond all of our comprehension), we do know there is a greater plan than any if us can see. We are sending hugs and more prayers for all of you. May you feel peace at this most difficult time.

Chelsey said...

Tennille, I am so sorry. I can't even imagine what you guys are going through. We love you guys so much and are praying that you and Jett will find some comfort during this time. Please let us know if we can do anything!!!

Trissy said...

I am so sorry for all that you and your little man have had to endure! May u be lifted up and feel the love of your savior! My thoughts and prayers will continue to be with you and your sweet family!

BreAna said...

Oh Tenille, I have been following your story from day one and have thought of you all the time. I can't hardly imagine what you are going through right now. You are an amazing women and I truly look up to you in so many ways. Jett is a beautiful little boy. Thank you for sharing your thoughts and feeling with all of us. Please let me know if there is anything I can ever do for you. i am in SLC so if you need somewhere to stay or anything please let me know.

Marcus Lane said...

So sorry about all of this! Enjoy every moment while you can. I am glad you still find the humor in these situations. When Jett farted, that is classic and makes me smile thinking about Cody and growing up with him.

You guys are in our thoughts and prayers!

Erin C said...

We love you guys so much and keep you in our prayers daily. Jett is such trooper and a little sweetheart. You two are so amazing.

Marc, Janelle, Brax & Millie said...

All I have to say is you guys are truly the most AMAZING parents I know!Jett is so sweet and he really was meant to come to you guys.And humor is such a healer. Keep on finding the joy in every situation! We are praying for you and for little Jett!

d said...

Oh Cody, Tenille and Jett- how can such a tiny boy reach us all so much in so short a time? I can't imagine how to deal with this. This little guy is such a miracle, and inspiration. He has stretched you both further than I think I could bear. I love you all, I can't wait to hold him in my arms, so I can have some of that screaming and tooting. I think of him more than you guys probably know, and Jett is in our prayers every night. We love you.

TJ said...

Strong Arms Brother, if you guys need anything let me know. I will be sending all my positive vibes your way.

Anonymous said...

Tennille and Cody, I don't even know where to begin as tears are streaming down my face. So many emotions are playing in my own mind and I am so blessed to know individuals like you that demonstrate such faith, strength and love. Your family is such an inspiration and incredible example to me. You have helped strengthen my own testimony of the Savior's love as well as His divine plan. Thank you for being open enough to share your struggles with us and to help other's grow through your hardships. I know this is beyond words difficult, but please know you are on my mind constantly and I will pray for you often. I wish I was home to see you both and give you hugs and kiss that sweet little Jett. What a wonderful spirit. I can't help but look at my own little Tate and think if they were friends before they came and the talk they must have had knowing what their lives might bring as they entered this world only a month apart from each other. We love you so much and I hope that we can see you soon.

Nicole said...

You both are such amazing examples of strength and spirit! I cannot imagine the many emotions you are feeling every minute of every day! I'm so sorry that the news was not better! We will keep you in our prayers! Please let us know if we can do anything!!!! I will send you my number in a message over facebook so it's not public, but please feel free to call anytime you need someone to talk to!! Please know that Pat and I love you guys and will help in any way we can (Pat works right by PCMC so if you ever need anything feel free to call him, too!!!!)

Love and hugs!!!
NIcole

Lindsay said...

Tenille & Cody, we will keep you in our prayers and also your sweet Jett. You are a strong family! Heavenly Father will be there for you no matter what happens. I'm sure you know my little boy passed away when he was 1 year old. One thought that helped me to sleep and get rid of that pit in my stomach like you talked about was this phrase "be still, and know that I am God." I just would breath deep and think of that and I could relax and feel some comfort knowing that God would be there for me always! Love you guys!

DANIELA said...

Tenille, I am so sorry for all the pain that your little one and of course you and your family are going through. That's the scariest things about being a parent that you always want the best for your children and when something like that happens to you, you just wonder why, now all you and your loving husband can do and enjoy every minute you have and know that everything will turn out the way it was meant to be. I think of you often and know that I'm always here if you need anything. Sending love and prayers to you and your family.

Suz@Shabbi Skraps said...

Tenille,
After being one of your leaders as you were growing up I know of the strong testimony and love you have for Heavenly Father and our Savior. I know they will comfort you, Cody, and Jett during this very trying time. Please know our families thoughts and prayers are with you. I will call and have all of your names added to the Mesa Temple prayer roll. I am so truly sorry for your pain! Love, Suzette

Christian, Kerri, & The Boys said...

I am not even sure the words to type to you. Sorry does not seem to cut it. You guys are amazing and I tell Christian everday how much I think and pray for you. I wish I lived closer to help you out. We can all learn from parents like you. We love you guys. Thanks for sharing a little of your heart with us:)

Josh and Sarah Coe said...

Hey Cody and Tennille. We've been keeping up with you guys and with Jett through facebook and your blog. I appreciate you keeping us in the loop. We've been thinking about you a lot and hope for the best...even with the most recent news. We are thinking about you and praying for you.
Love,
The Coes (Josh and Sarah)

Josh and Sarah Coe said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

Thank You for keeping us in touch. A day doesn't go by that I don't think of you two and Jett and the challenges you are facing. As I try to dry my tears after reading your post, I want to thank you for your honesty and the real approach you have taken. Everyone wants to take this pain away for you two and Jett. We don't know "the plan" for your situation but surely we know there is one. I just want you to know my heart goes out to you. The CHALLENGES you two are facing are something no one can know but to walk in your shoes. Just know you don't walk alone. Not only is our Father and Brother trying to hold you up, but your family and friends hear you...and cry with and for you and Jett and LOVE you! Our prayers are for you and the best for Jett.
ALL my love and prayers,
Aunt Lindy

Audrey and Geoffery said...

I have been asking my mom for updates and I'm so sorry to hear the final prognosis. I know this is difficult, but know that we are thinking of you and praying for you. You guys are an amazing family, and I know he feels that strength! I hope that you are able to enjoy each day with Jett and I will be sure to pray each day for just that!

janaq said...

Wow I love you guys and will continue to pray for your little jett. You were chosen for such an experience and while hard I know there must be reasons. Know you always have people thinking of you guys you are not alone. Love you all!!! Jana

janaq said...

Wow I love you guys and will continue to pray for your little jett. You were chosen for such an experience and while hard I know there must be reasons. Know you always have people thinking of you guys you are not alone. Love you all!!! Jana

janaq said...

Wow I love you guys and will continue to pray for your little jett. You were chosen for such an experience and while hard I know there must be reasons. Know you always have people thinking of you guys you are not alone. Love you all!!! Jana

janaq said...

Wow I love you guys and will continue to pray for your little jett. You were chosen for such an experience and while hard I know there must be reasons. Know you always have people thinking of you guys you are not alone. Love you all!!! Jana

janaq said...

Wow I love you guys and will continue to pray for your little jett. You were chosen for such an experience and while hard I know there must be reasons. Know you always have people thinking of you guys you are not alone. Love you all!!! Jana

KO said...

Never, never, never give up! We love you and will pray for you.

Anonymous said...

Sweet Tennille and Cody: Our thoughts and prayers are with you and Jett always, at this time when your hearts are aching. We are constantly praying for you everyday and night to receive strength, hope, courage and comfort through these difficult times. I do know one thing forsure, Jett is so lucky to have you as his parents, and you to have him as your son. I know without a doubt that Heavenly Father sent this truly amazing little spirit, Jett, to the most wonderful Mom and Dad ever. His little eyes are full of love. He needed to come to earth to let us all have this time to be in his presence, touch all of our lives, learn from him, and make all of us stronger. It only takes one time of holding Jett and feeling of his sweet little spirit to fall in love with him. How lucky you are to have both of your parents around you, to help and support you. I can't imagine how hard this is for you guys. Just know that Heavenly Father is watching over you guys and little Jett and will never leave you alone. I love you both and I hope you know that I (we) are here for you at anytime. love you, aunt shirlee and rich

Anonymous said...

I really didn't mean to put anonymous on my post. I must have hit the wrong key. love, Shirlee

shir said...

I give up. I don't know how to post things. I want to be put on the tending list..... shir