Monday, February 20, 2012

A little story about a boy named Jett

As I'm sitting here in the middle of the night typing one handed because little Jett man is sleeping in my other hand, i figured i would copy and paste a couple of thoughts i have recorded over the last few weeks.
These are just thoughts I jotted down, so bare with the bad spelling/grammar.


The last little bit has been quite the rollercoaster ride, actually that is not a good comparison because there hasn’t been many ups, only downs.  1/19 we took Jett to the dr. because of his hysterical back arching.  She prescribed some Zantac because he “probably” has acid reflux.  Well, On 1/20 we took Jett to the instacare because Tennille didn’t feel that he was breathing really good, and that he was getting a cold.  They referred us up to Primary Childrens because his O2 saturation level was in the mid 80’s and he wanted them to observe Jett.  Once we got checked in to the ER they started drawing blood, placing IV’s, and testing Jett for all sorts of problems.  They eventually told us we’d be here for at least the night, so they were admitting us and going to move us up stairs.  Before we went up we met the attending Dr. for the infant unit, Dr. Brinton.  We talked with her about Jett and I voiced my concerns about his arching in addition to his cold symptoms.  I told her that his eyes don’t track, he is very colicky and in pain frequently and he is also very jittery, and I was concerned about cerebral palsy.  She looked him over and told me that CP wasn’t the problem because he is able to relax.  Well we moved up stairs and the nurses took over and told us to go home and get some rest.  When we showed up  the next morning there were 6-8 doctors/nurses around his bed for rounds.  It was kind of like arriving at your house and the fire trucks and ambulances are out front… we thought there was a major problem due to all the people there.  I guess that night was a really rough night and the nurses were worried about his arching, so they called in some additional dr’s.  Those dr’s decided that he was suffering from severe acid reflux and they referred to it as Sandifers syndrome, they also mentioned that the neurology team would like to come check him out as well.  They ordered a PH probe for the next day to decide if it really was reflux or not.  Right before he was supposed to start the PH probe they decided that his symptoms were in line enough that they were convinced it was reflux and the PH probe was not necessary.  They started treating him with double Zantac to address the problem.  At that point, I was pretty worried about some neuro problems so I started requesting an EEG to see his brain activity.  They kept insisting that he has Sandifer’s  and no further tests were necessary.  Unfortunately I was concurrently learning about seizure disorders as well as neuroanatomy, so I felt that with my little knowledge there was reason to at least eliminate the possibility of any neuro problems, but the doctors continued to refuse.
            After the PH probe was cancelled, they decided that they wanted to do a swallow study to determine if he was aspirating (in addition to his other problems, he had lost weight in the last week).  They decided (still can’t convince me that I saw aspirations during the study) that he aspirates when he eats regular breast milk as well as thickened milk.  This, coupled with reflux made them decide to place an NJ tube (feeding tube that is inserted in the nose, passes through the stomach, and the 1st and 2nd parts of the small intestine and ends up in the Jejunum).  Initially we were rather ok with this because of his recent weight loss, hopefully a couple days of a feeding tube would get him right back to where he needed to be, right???
            A few days after he was started on Zantac, it was not helping with his back arching and obvious pain that he was experiencing, so they decided to finally call In the neurology team.  Neuro suggested that we take an MRI and the genetics team also wanted to get a spinal tap to check his CSF.  A few hours later Tennille was signing our sweet little boys life away for the anesthesia (he needed to be perfectly still for the MRI, so the had to drug him), luckily they were able to do the spinal tap after he was out, so he didn’t have to feel the pain associated with that.  They did the MRI and took Jett back to his room.  The Dr. earlier in the day told us that we would get our results shortly after the MRI, so we waited there for hours before we were finally told that the neuroradiologist wouldn’t be in until the next evening. What??? Our sons fate is on the line, and we have to wait for 24 hours… do they know what the imagination can do in 24 hours.  The sweet attending Dr, Dr. Brinton, knew how we were feeling so she wanted to talk to us before we left for the night.  I think she was trying to do the right thing, but she told us, “All I can say is that the MRI is abnormal.  Jett’s cerebellum is not the correct size.  But I can’t tell you more than that because I’m not a radiologist”
            You can imagine the feelings that Tennille and I were going through for the next day, it wasn’t much fun.  For some reason though, I knew all along that there was something wrong and the news of the MRI didn’t shock me.  The things Jett does are not normal, and I had lost a lot of sleep the past couple weeks worrying about what could be wrong.  The time had finally come, our team of Dr’s assembled, and came to bring the news and answer questions.  They told us that Jett’s cerebellum is much smaller than normal. The cerebellum controls fine motor movement, balance, muscle tone, and many other things.  They don’t know if Jett will ever walk.  They don’t know if his cognitive functions will be affected.  He also has a smaller than normal brain stem.  The brain stem controls many things but most importantly, your respiration and heart.  They said right now his brainstem seems to be doing everything that it is supposed to do, and they hope that it continues to.  They also said that his optic nerve is in place and it appears that everything neurologically was connected, but they had made an appointment with the eye doctor because they don’t know if he can see.  Tennille bluntly choked out the question Does this affect his life expectancy? And they answered that they didn’t know!
            Wow… that’s kind of hard to stomach.  A week ago we thought we had a perfect baby boy that had a cleft lip/palate, now we don’t know if he will ever walk, see, or even grow up.   We went home that night and cried more than I ever thought possible as we wondered what would become of our baby boy.
            The next couple days in the hospital were pretty lifeless.  I remember that Jett lost weight even though he was on the feeding tube. Lots of doctors, and empty promises of sending us home.  They finally ordered the EEG that I had requested early on, but ended up sending us home a few days later without ever performing it.
            Since we have been home from the hospital Jett’s weight has started to increase slightly, at least were moving upward not down, and he has been to multiple doctors appointments.  The first piece of GREAT news that we got was that the internals of his eye are all normal and he should be able to see.  The dr told us to give him a break, he isn’t tracking normally because he has had so many other problems that his eyes haven’t been a big concern.  Next we got a kidney ultrasound.  He has what they call a horseshoe kidney, and hyperuresis.  The kidneys are usually 2 separate bean looking things but a horseshoe kidney means they are connected and it forms a horse shoe.  Most of the time this doesn’t cause any problems, and lets hope this is the case for Jett.  They hyperuresis means that there was a lot of urine in his kidneys.  They don’t know why, or if it is bad, so we will follow up in a few months to see if it has resolved by then.  Lastly we went to the cardiologist.  They did an echo, heart ultrasound, and an ECG.  The Doctor said that his heart is healthy and normal (hallelujah!!! Something works right)  His cleft lip surgery was scheduled for February 21st but we obviously had to change it until he is bigger and healthier. 
            Now that we have had a little time to digest the situation; these are our current thoughts.  This can’t change who we are.  We will still continue to do what we love to do and what we have done in the past, it may just be harder to do those things.  Jett has high expectations placed on him, but likewise for Tennille and I; Jett is expecting a lot from us.  We understand he is going to have some hurdles to overcome, but we are going to push him to amaze us and everyone around us with what he can do. 

Thanks so much to all of our friends and family that have taken care of us with dinners, cookies, date night, games, adult conversation, etc…  Everyone has been so nice and supportive of us.  I'll try to update this as Jett continues to progress, but seeing as we (maybe mom and dad too) are about the only ones that read it, the updates may be few and far between

11 comments:

Christian, Kerri, & The Boys said...

Thanks for the update. We think and pray for you and your family all the time. Sweet baby Jhett! He is a little fighter, I just know it!

Jonas and Devin said...

I love updates! We have been thinking about you lots and wish we were closer to help. You guys are going to be just what Jett needs in life and vice versa. Let us know if we can do anything to help.

Chelsey said...

Thanks for the update! You guys have been/will continue to be in our thoughts and prayers. Already you are amazing parents and are what Jett needs! We love you and if you guys need ANYTHING, let us know!

Unknown said...

We are constantly thinking and praying for you guys and baby jett. Thanks for the updates and let us know if we can do anything.

The Lloyd's said...

Thank you for the update! I didn't know about some of the additional tests you had done; I am so glad to hear he has a healthy heart!

It's time for another game night. That was really fun and it was so good to see you guys. And I agree--this can't change who you guys are because you are both fantastic and you are just the parents Jett needs in this life. :)

The Fullmers Four said...

Thanks for sharing. You guys are amazing. Jett will pull through and things are going to work out great. Let us know if we can do anything.

Patrick-Nicole-Daxton said...

You guys are amazing! Seriously! You guys are in our prayers....we love you!!!

Amy said...

i'm just reading this now, i read your fb posts and knew a little bit about what was going on but did not know the details. thank you for sharing. i hope your upcoming doctor appointments give you the answers you need. it would be heartbreaking to know he is in so much pain, not know exactly what is going on, and not know what his future holds. hang in there. you are strong! you can do (and are doing) hard things!

KO said...

My goodness you guys, I'm tearing up as I'm typing this. I'm frustrated for you. I pray that you can continue to find more answers/solutions and Jett can beat all odds. Please let me know if you need anything when you're in SLC. XOXO.

d said...

I am so glad that you wrote this down, and that I finally read it. I think about you guys all the time. For me, watching this situation makes me feel so helpless, I can only imagine what you feel. I am glad all three of you are so strong willed that answers will be found, despite some of the doctors most frustrating efforts.

d said...

I am so glad that you wrote this down, and that I finally read it. I think about you guys all the time. For me, watching this situation makes me feel so helpless, I can only imagine what you feel. I am glad all three of you are so strong willed that answers will be found, despite some of the doctors most frustrating efforts.